Program Impact Research
Research and evaluation at The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp supports continuous innovation, promotes program quality and ultimately promotes the safety, well-being and positive development of campers and families. It centers on Camp's Four Core Values: Safety, Camaraderie, Possibility and Appreciation.
The research and evaluation efforts also address two primary areas: satisfaction with and outcomes related to the Camp experience, with satisfaction defined as the extent to which campers, families, volunteers, event participants and staff are satisfied with programmatic elements such as activities, registration, facilities, etc.; and outcomes defined as the personal, social and other developmental changes that might occur in campers, families, volunteers and event participants as a result of Camp and relate to the “different kind of healing” that can occur through Camp.
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp research and evaluation efforts inform decisions in the areas of: training, funding (reports and proposals), materials, marketing and communications, staffing, program offerings, program structure, youth served and families served.
Latest Research & Evaluation Reports
- 2017 Summer Camp Program Outcomes Evaluation Report
- 2017 Hero's Journey Program Outcomes Evaluation Report
- 2017 ACA Abstract: Does Extra Staff Training on Camper Friendship Skills Make a Difference to Camper Outcomes
- 2016 Summer Camp Program Outcomes Evaluation Report
- 2016 Hero's Journey Program Outcomes Evaluation Report
- 2016 HOP Evaluation Report
- 2016 HOP Numbers Project
- 2016 Camping Magazine article: Evaluating Appreciation Possibility, and Friendship Skills at a Camp for Youth with Serious Illness
- 2016 ACA Research Symposium abstract: Does a 45-minute staff training session on camper friendship skills make a difference to camper outcomes
- 2016 Coalition for Education in the Outdoors research abstract: Identity Awareness Through Outdoor Activities for Adolescents with Serious Illnesses
Why Does Research & Evaluation Matter?
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, as we all know, is an incredible place where incredible things happen throughout the year to enrich the lives of children with serious illnesses and to offer restorative and compassionate programming to their families. Both of my boys have been affected by significant medical issues and both of them have been blessed to be a part of the Hole in the Wall family. Every program, even those that we know are amazing, can benefit from research and evaluation to continue striving to discover even better methods to serve its target population. As a parent of two children that have benefited from the magic at Camp, I am glad to be able to assist Camp to capture insights and feedback as part of a respectful and thoughtful process. It is one small way that I can give back to Camp, a place that has given so much to my family.
– Camper parent Mary