Summer Program Counselor
Seasonal Summer Staff
Founded in 1988 by Paul Newman, The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp provides “a different kind of healing” to more than 20,000 seriously ill children and family members annually - all completely free of charge. For many of these children and families, Hole in the Wall provides multiple Camp experiences throughout the year at the facility in Ashford, Conn., in more than 40 hospitals and clinics, directly in camper homes and communities, and through other outreach activities across the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.
Program Counselors are responsible for planning, implementing, and facilitating outcome-based activities for their respective program area. Program Counselors will collaborate with both full time and seasonal staff to ensure engaging and innovative programming for campers.
Our Program Counselors can expect to...
- Participate in required on-site orientation and individual program trainings prior to the start of the summer program.
- Plan, implement, and facilitate intentional, adaptable, and outcome-based programming for children of all abilities, ages 7-15. Activities should be inclusive to all participants and incorporate the weekly camp themes.
- Organize and facilitate all-camp activities alongside the rest of the Program Team.
- Help create and foster an environment that promotes inclusivity, safety, and participation.
- Work effectively both individually and as part of a team.
- Ensure the cleanliness and organization of assigned program area.
- Prepare program areas before scheduled activity times.
- Prompt attendance at all scheduled activities.
- Assist in opening and closing day procedures
- Maintain inventory and ordering of program supplies in collaboration with the Program Coordinator and Program Team Associate.
- Maintain communication with the Program Coordinator and Program Team Associate about program needs, program development, and weather plans.
- Be flexible in planning and scheduling.
- Provide consistent engagement with participants throughout each session.
- Communicate relevant observations of participant experiences to the Program Coordinator and/or Program Team Associate.
- Be prepared to lead and organize a variety of creative games and activities for rainy days and downtime.
- 18 years of age.
- As of January 1, 2023, staff & volunteers within Summer 2023 programming are required have the primary series AND one booster dose (bivalent) received after September 1, 2022*, to prevent against COVID-19. *The booster dose must be administered two weeks PRIOR to your participation in Camp programming.
- Physically and mentally capable to handle the care of campers.
- Be familiar with and enforce all safety, emergency, and camp policies.
- Serve as a role model and provide support to Camp volunteers.
- Commitment to foster a community that celebrates inclusivity and our camp values, which are inclusion, gratitude, possibility, friendship, and safety.
- Be flexible with the changing needs of the program.
- The ability to work with a diverse community in a multicultural environment.
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary by Camp leadership.
- Comply with and remain flexible with COVID-19 specific precautions and requirements through the duration of the program, as outlined/advised by the CDC and HITWGC Medical Team.
- All positions are residential and are hired for the duration of our summer program. The time commitment is early June to late August.
Click Here to Apply
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex, and is committed to a diverse workforce.