Director of Major and Planned Giving
Connecticut / New England
New Haven, CT
New York/New Jersey
Full-time - Location flexible - remote work OK
Founded in 1988 by Paul Newman, The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp provides “a different kind of healing” to more than 20,000 seriously ill children and family members annually – all completely free of charge. For many of these children and families, Hole in the Wall provides multiple Camp experiences throughout the year at the facility in Ashford, Conn., in more than 40 hospitals and clinics, directly in camper homes and communities, and through other outreach activities across the Northeast.
The Director of Major and Planned Giving works with the Chief Development Officer (CDO), along with development leadership and key volunteers, to set major gifts and planned giving program goals and priorities to further strategic objectives. Paramount is the ability of the director to elevate the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp's individual giving to a new level of performance. The director sits on the CDO's Senior Development Team, working collaboratively to advance the goals of philanthropy on behalf of seriously children and their families.
In addition to maintaining a portfolio and working directly with major donors and volunteers, this position will plan, direct, and supervise the work of the major gifts staff to develop team portfolios and success. This individual serves as a coach, advisor, and strategist with major gifts staff on the identification, cultivation, solicitation, closure and stewardship of major and planned gift donors, and functions as an essential partner in the success of all campaigns.
This position will also oversee the planned giving program, ensuring that the marketing, lead generation, prospecting assignments, gift discussions and recognition programs are well-integrated into the overall operation of philanthropy at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
Our Director of Major and Planned Giving can expect to…
- Engage with the CDO, senior development leadership, and volunteers to develop and strengthen individual relationships and involvement with The Hole in the Wall Gang in meeting its goals and mission.
- Oversee a comprehensive major gift and planned giving program
- Develop strategies designed to identify, cultivate, and solicit individuals capable of giving a gift of $10,000 and above in a single year, or $50,000+ range payable over multiple years, to support funding priorities and general operations.
- Build goals for outright and deferred gifts in conjunction with the Senior Development Team, including annual goals, multi-year goals, planned giving program goals and campaign goals.
- Prepare annual long-range plans and forecasts for review.
- Partner with Prospect Research & Portfolio Management to develop processes, procedures, and analytics to ensure that a strong pipeline of potential support is identified and maintained.
- In conjunction with Donor Relations and Stewardship, help create and execute plans for appropriate recognition of major and planned gift donors.
- As appropriate, work directly with the Senior Development Team and the CDO to develop or update major gifts and planned giving policies, procedures, and priorities.
- Participate in a range of donor activities and events that have strategic impact on the success of individual giving and planned giving program results.
- Facilitate productive relationships between donors, senior administrators and other staff to solicit individuals for high- level gifts in support of fundraising priorities, as appropriate.
- Manage a portfolio of 75 individuals who are major and planned gift prospects.
- Model best practices for the team by developing strategies for building successful relationships between prospects and The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp with a goal of soliciting and closing major gifts.
- Correspond with and meet prospects, donors and their advisors.
- Travel as appropriate to fulfill duties and maintain and submit timely reports on meetings with prospects and donors.
- Work in partnership with Donor Relations and Stewardship to build on the existing efforts to promote the key giving societies in ways that create a prominent presence of our core donors in organizational communications.
- Coordinate with the CDO to manage documentation and compliance of pledges, estate-related commitments, and gift acceptance policies.
- Ensure that the giving program continues to adhere to best practices in philanthropy with long term strategy and meaningful relationship building at the core of Hole in the Wall Gang's approach.
- Review monthly, quarterly and annual reports that include measurable targets for the major gifts team that demonstrate productivity related to meetings, stewardship activity, solicitations made, new commitments and dollars raised within each fiscal year.
- Work in conjunction with staff to conduct annual strategy and goal setting, including setting measurable, meaningful and appropriate targets for individual staff members.
- Ensure timely completion of proposals, pledge commitment documents, documentation of individual prospect strategies, stewardship plans and qualification efforts. Include results of progress in reviews of direct reports.
- Oversee marketing of planned gifts from concept to production and in partnership with planned giving management, Crescendo, and the Communications Team; integrate annual strategy and goal setting for individual staff.
- Provide leadership and supervision for the major gifts team including training and development that aligns with institutional needs.
- Provide guidance and support to major gift staff in developing strategies for donor engagement.
- Create and cultivate a work environment that celebrates diversity and promotes equity and inclusion.
Our Director of Major and Planned Giving should have…
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Strong major and planned gift fundraising experience with demonstrated ability to manage donor relationships and successfully solicit six and seven figure gifts.
- Thorough knowledge of financial vehicles and techniques used in estate planning and creation of tax-advantage philanthropic gifts.
- Proven track record of successful solicitation and service in creating deferred gifts and in working with legal and professional counsel on tax and estate issues.
- The ability to establish positive relationships with a variety of people in multicultural environments.
- Campaign and annual giving experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with CRM's related to Advancement.
- A demonstrated skill in successfully coaching, training and leading staff and volunteers with a compassionate, clear and decisive leadership and management style.
- Self-motivation, a results-oriented style, and an ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to plan, create and market a strategic deferred gift program.
- Energy, enthusiasm and the ability to work both independently and productively in a fast paced, team-oriented department.
- The highest ethical standards, an entrepreneurial spirit and creativity.
- A willingness and ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp provides a very competitive salary, a generous benefits package, a work from home option, and growth opportunities for high contributors. Due to the volume of resumes received, you will be contacted only if there is interest in pursuing your application. No phone calls please.
The Hole in the Wall Gang requires all staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Exceptions may be made for legally recognized exemptions.
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex, and is committed to a diverse workforce.