COVID-19 Testing Nurse
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, founded by Paul Newman, is a nonprofit, year-round center serving more than 25,000 children and family members coping with chronic and life threatening illnesses, all completely free of charge. Camp’s goal is to ensure that every child with a serious medical condition has the chance to experience the world of possibilities that Camp has to offer. It’s a community that celebrates the fun, friendship and spirit of childhood where, according to Mr. Newman, every kid can “raise a little hell.”
The testing nurse will work with Camp’s year-round Medical Team to assist with executing all aspects of Camp’s COVID-19 testing initiative for staff, volunteers and program participants within Spring and Summer programming in 2021.
The testing nurse will assist with the screening for infectious disease as staff, volunteers and program participants arrive on Camp, specimen collection from adult and pediatric patients, documentation and processing of tests for COVID-19. Additionally, the nurse will assist with educating patients on appropriate next steps based on results.
The testing nurse will be an integral member of Camp’s Medical Team to ensure the health and safety of the Camp community.
- Assist in set up, assembly and coordination of all associated supplies for the COVID-19 testing site.
- Greet and screen staff, volunteers and program participants for symptoms related to COVID-19 and infectious disease.
- Complete POC specimen collection and processing from adult and pediatric patients, per protocol.
- Complete accurate patient documentation in EMR system.
- Maintain infection control and applicable lab processing standards and requirements.
- Provide results and educate patients on appropriate next steps based on results.
- Serve as a role model and provide support to infirmary volunteers.
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary by Camp leadership.
Education and Experience:
- Registered Nursing Degree.
- Current Connecticut RN license (prior to arrival at Camp).
- Current CPR certification.
- Experience with nasal swabbing and POC testing preferred.
- Experience in EMR systems preferred.
- Excellent communication & critical thinking skills.
- Experience in a team environment.
- This is a contracted, short term position (approximately 100 hours).
- The time commitment is one day per week (Thursdays 8-12 hour day) from the middle of June to middle of August. Several (approximately 4) onboarding sessions will be scheduled in May and early June.
- Be familiar with and enforce all safety, emergency and camp policies.
- Commitment to foster a community that celebrates inclusivity and our camp values, which include camaraderie, appreciation, possibility and safety.
How To Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex, and is committed to a diverse workforce.