Community Outreach Specialist - New York
New York/New Jersey
Founded in 1988 by Paul Newman, The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp provides “a different kind of healing” to more than 20,000 seriously ill children and family members annually – all completely free of charge. For many of these children and families, Hole in the Wall provides multiple Camp experiences throughout the year at the facility in Ashford, Conn., in more than 40 hospitals and clinics, directly in camper homes and communities, and through other outreach activities across the Northeast.
Known internally as "CampOut Specialist", this position develops and delivers Hole in the Wall Gang Camp style activities and interactions to campers and their families, individually and in groups, in community settings throughout the Mid-Atlantic. Collaborates with on-site professionals to offer supportive and uplifting programs for children and families affected by childhood illness. Brings the Spirit of The Hole In The Wall Gang Camp (Safety, Respect and Love) to all activities and interactions.
Our CampOut Specialist can expect to:
- Plan activities and events for campers and their families, including group activities (games, arts and crafts, cooking projects, etc.), to be held at to local community centers, museums, parks, attractions, etc.
- Coordinate in-home visits for campers and their families, including games, activities and family centered programming.
- Arrange site for activities, invite participants, and coordinate all logistics.
- Work to support the recruitment and management of volunteers from local community.
- Communicate with camper families and identified organizations to offer and promote the CampOut program, secure agreement to participate, and schedule and coordinate visits.
- Drive CampOut vehicle to designated locations, such as community centers, homes, parks, donated corporate space, public venues, or other sites, throughout New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland.
- Lead or coordinate all activities on site.
- Adhere to all Camp and program site mandated policies, procedures and trainings regarding access, HIPAA, health and safety, etc.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and materials for use in programming.
- Continually evaluate and assess the effectiveness of activities and events and make changes for continuous improvement of program.
- Manage CampOut attendance, events, reports and relevant notes in Salesforce.
- Maintain specific records on the evolution of program activities and their effectiveness.
- Cultivate relationships in and out of the Camp community that will provide new program ideas and opportunities.
- Collaborate with other Camp staff in research and development toward the enhancement of program offerings.
- Manage CampOut schedule and budget for efficient program delivery.
- Attend and contribute to Camp meetings as scheduled.
- Represent the Camp as assigned at fundraising or other public events.
Our CampOut Specialist should have:
- Previous experience working with children dealing with chronic or life-threatening illness.
- Previous professional experience within the SeriousFun Network Camps (preferred).
- Teaching and/or event planning experience (preferred).
- The ability to establish positive relationships with a variety of people in multicultural environments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual/spanish language skills preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to bring a creative edge to procedural data processing, communications, and activities.
- A sense of humor and the ability to find a balance between focused professionial endeavors and unstructured fun.
- A familiarity with key software and database resources (e.g. Microsoft Office, Salesforce, FormAssembly, etc.) and adaptable digital skills.
- A willingness and ability to transport approximately 40 pounds of supplies to service delivery sites, using cart or other means.
- Valid driver’s license and driving record which meets our insurance carrier requirements.
- A willingness and ability to work extended hours, including evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel.
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp provides a very competitive salary, a generous benefits package, and growth opportunities for high contributors. Due to the volume of resumes received, you will be contacted only if there is interest in pursuing your application. No phone calls please.
The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex, and is committed to a diverse workforce.